Subject: [members] OASIS News: 2 July 2007
From: "Jane Harnad" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 12:14:53 -0400 (EDT)

OASIS News
2 July 2007

Welcome to OASIS News, a bi-weekly update of announcements,
accomplishments, and activities for the international open standards
consortium.

In this issue:
* New mission statement focuses on global information society
* WS-SecurityPolicy becomes an OASIS Standard
* Five new TCs form under Open CSA Member Section
* Digital Signature Services eXtended (DSS-X) TC forms
* OASIS Standard ballot on DITA 1.1 opens soon
* Public review begins for Customer Information Quality (CIQ) 3.0
* Video interview with OASIS CEO explores ROI of standards
* OASIS announces Program Committee for Open Standards Forum
* Consortium seeks research assistant for Cover Pages

----------------------------------------------------------------------
New mission statement focuses on global information society

In response to requests from members to broaden the consortium's
positioning beyond "e-business", OASIS has edited its mission statement
and tagline. The new mission statement, "OASIS drives the development,
convergence, and adoption of open standards for the global information
society", and tagline "Advancing open standards for the information
society", will be featured throughout the OASIS web site and other
materials.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
WS-SecurityPolicy becomes an OASIS Standard

Members have approved version 1.2 of WS-SecurityPolicy as an OASIS
Standard. WS-SecurityPolicy defines a base set of assertions that describe
how messages are to be secured in the WS-Policy framework. Congratulations
to Web Services Secure Exchange (WS-SX) TC co-chairs, Kelvin Lawrence of
IBM and Chris Kaler of Microsoft, and to all WS-SX TC members for this
accomplishment.

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200707/msg00001.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Six new TCs form under Open CSA Member Section

Members of the OASIS Open CSA Member Section have organized six new TCs to
advance development of the Service Component Architecture (SCA) family of
specifications. SCA describes a model for building applications and
systems using a service-oriented architecture. The new OASIS SCA Policy TC
will be convened by Michael Rowley of BEA, the SCA Assembly TC by Martin
Chapman of Oracle, the SCA Bindings TC by Mike Edwards of IBM, the SCA/J
TC by Henning Blohm of SAP, the SCA BPEL TC by Mike Edwards of IBM and the
SCA C/C++ TC by Bryan Aupperle of IBM. All these TCs welcome new
participation.

http://www.oasis-opencsa.org/
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200706/msg00014.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200706/msg00015.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200707/msg00002.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200707/msg00003.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200707/msg00004.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200707/msg00005.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Digital Signature Services eXtended (DSS-X) TC forms

Members of OASIS have organized a new TC to advance new profiles for the
DSS OASIS Standard and maintain the specification. Proposers of the OASIS
DSS-X TC include representatives of CATCert-Agencia Catalana de
Certificacio, BEA, and others. Convened by Juan Carlos Cruellas of CANET,
the TC's first meeting will be a teleconference on 23 July. New
participants are welcome.

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200706/msg00012.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------
OASIS Standard ballot on DITA 1.1 opens soon

The OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture TC has submitted DITA
version 1.1 to be considered as an OASIS Standard. DITA 1.1 advances a
document creation and management specification that builds content reuse
into the authoring process. On 16 July, a Call for Vote on DITA 1.1 will
be issued to all OASIS member organizations. Members who wish to discuss
this ballot may do so through [email-masked].

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200707/msg00000.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Public review begins for Customer Information Quality (CIQ) 3.0

The OASIS CIQ TC has approved CIQ version 3.0 as a Committee Draft and
submitted it for public review. CIQ provides a set of industry- and
application-neutral XML specifications for representing, interoperating,
and managing party (person/organization) centric information. The review
ends 26 August.

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200706/msg00013.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Video interview with OASIS CEO explores ROI of standards

A 25-minute conversation between Patrick Gannon, president and CEO of
OASIS, and Gregory Maciag, CEO of the ACORD insurance standards
organization, is now available online. In the interview, Gannon discusses
data integration, Composite Service Architecture, cross-industry
applications, and the common ground of OASIS and ACORD standards.

http://video.acord.org/?fr_story=9a4544ff30030fb5866b925099409f382410b832

----------------------------------------------------------------------
OASIS announces Program Committee for Open Standards Forum

Industry experts, Tim Jennings, Research Director for the Butler Group;
Martin Raepple, Standards Architect at SAP; and Pim van der Eijk, European
Representative for OASIS, will serve on the Programme Committee for OASIS'
annual European Forum. The event, which will be held 29-30 October in
London, will explore the theme, "Enabling Transitional Government
Through Web Services and SOA." Members of the Programme Committee will be
evaluating proposals for presentations and panel sessions that address
standardisation for message security, reliable messaging, transaction,
choreography and orchestration. The deadline to submit presentation
abstracts is 13 July.

http://events.oasis-open.org/home/forum/2007/callforpresentations

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Consortium seeks research assistant for Cover Pages

Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply for a part-time position
working with Robin Cover in the collection, editing, and publication of
standards information for the Cover Pages web site
(http://xml.coverpages.org/) and for the newsletter, XML Daily Newslink.
This assistant will conduct research about XML standards activity, based
upon prescribed research objectives, organizing the content in markup
format suitable for publication.

http://www.oasis-open.org/jobs/cp-assistant.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Important dates:

9 Jul:
  Webinar series on OASIS security standards begin
  http://www.oasis-open.org/events/webinars/security-2007.php

  Discussion list on document standards interoperability closes
  http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/members/200704/msg00009.html

13 Jul:
  Abstracts due for OASIS Open Standards Forum in London
  http://events.oasis-open.org/home/forum/2007/callforpresentations

16 Jul:
  Code List Representation 1.0 public review closes
  http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/members/200705/msg00012.html

18 Jul:
  Search Web Services TC holds first meeting
  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/search-ws/

26 Aug:
  Customer Information Quality (CIQ) 3.0 public review closes
  http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200706/msg00013.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Recent press releases:

OASIS Members Form Committee to Standardize Symmetric Encryption Key
Management Across the Enterprise
http://www.oasis-open.org/news/oasis-news-2007-06-25.php

Members Approve WS-ReliableMessaging as OASIS Standard
http://www.oasis-open.org/news/oasis-news-2007-06-21.php

Members Approve Content Assembly Mechanism (CAM) 1.1 as OASIS Standard
http://www.oasis-open.org/news/oasis-news-2007-06-19.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------

**Membership Tip #40**

Organize an InterOp to demonstrate cross-vendor support for a spec.
http://www.oasis-open.org/who/interop_demo_policy.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------
OASIS News is published in English, Chinese, Japanese, and Russian.
Volunteers to translate the newsletter into other languages are welcome;
contact [email-masked].

Archives: http://www.oasis-open.org/news/oasis_news_archive.php

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This email list is used solely by OASIS for official consortium communications.

Opt-out requests may be sent to [email-masked], however, all members are strongly encouraged to maintain a subscription to this list.