Subject: Revised Seclected Job Example
From: "Steven Newhouse" <[email-masked]>
To: "ogsa-wg" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 17:08:02 -0500

The User Agent submits an abstract JSDL document (i.e. one that is not 
tied to a specific resource) to the Job Manager receiving in return a 
WS-Name that can be used to query the status at a later date, The Job 
Manager contacts the Execution Planning Service (EPS) specifying the 
policy that must be used to select the ‘best’ resource specified within 
the JSDL abstract document. The JSDL document provides criteria to 
select the appropriate resource. In this example the EPS selects a BES 
from a number of existing pre-defined BES instances according to the 
ordering policy. The ordering policy expresses the desirability of one 
BES instance over another. It returns a concrete JSDL document that can 
be passed to a specific BES instance for execution.

Assumptions: WS-Agreement is not used. The EPS is a ‘black box’ in this 
example encapsulates other components of the RSS architecture. The 
activity started by BES ends cleanly at some point in the future.
Pre-requisites: Established User Agent, Job Manager, BES and EPS instances.
Requirements: EPS interface.
Todo: JSDL group to define what might be blank in an abstract JSDL document.

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Steven Newhouse                        Tel:+44 (0)2380 598789
Deputy Director, Open Middleware Infrastructure Institute (OMII)
Suite 6005, Faraday Building (B21), Highfield Campus,
Southampton University, Highfield, Southampton, SO17 1BJ,  UK