Subject: EGEE's plans for NM-WG
From: Kostas Kavoussanakis <[email-masked]>
To: "Leese, MJ (Mark)" <[email-masked]>, Loukik Kudarimoti <[email-masked]>, Nicolas Simar <[email-masked]>
Cc: EGEE <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:56:28 +0100 (BST)

Dear all,

I was encouraged by Nicolas to write up our plans for NM-WG in 
EGEE-II, hoping these could be used as our requirements from the 
group. With me being the author, these requirements can only be on the 
higher level, rather than technical things.

In EGEE-I we used NM-WG as the cornerstone of the Network Performance 
Monitoring (NPM) work. We got e2emonit, the EDG/EGEE NPM suite, to 
talk NM-WGv1 and also used a variant (if we are honest) of v1 as the 
interface for the Mediator, our NPM data broker. The results are known 
to the NM-WG group from Mark's demonstrations at GGF13 and GGF15; we 
class these as the world's first access, from a single point and 
interface, of NPM data coming from different and heterogeneous 
frameworks.

http://egee-jra4.web.cern.ch/EGEE-JRA4/

Our mentality, also true in EGEE-II, is that networks should be free 
to choose the NPM suite of their choice and, as long as it exposes an 
NM-WG interface, their data will be available to the world, including 
EGEE. We have made this clear in all our communications so far, 
including EGEE, BalticGrid and the LHC-OPN Monitoring group, and we 
will continue to do so. As a strategy for EGEE-II we would like to 
refrain from instrumenting other people's networks, and we plan not to 
push e2emonit down people's throats unless they don't mind. For us, 
federation is the name of the game. We prefer to help people add NM-WG 
to their frameworks and retain control of their monitoring for 
themselves.

EGEE-II started on 1 April and it was our plan to go v2 in e2emonit 
and the Mediator within the first three months. We are somewhat 
alarmed that the official NM-WG repository does not have the latest 
schemas. It is putting us off migrating, let alone promoting NM-WG to 
other people. We are also concerned about the existence of third-party 
v2 extensions and the prospect of even more coming up, but this is 
another issue. While we cannot help as developers, we are happy to 
provide requirements and, together with perfSONAR, to be early 
adopters of the schemas. We hope that this provides scope for 
collaboration at this level.

Regards,

Kostas

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ |epcc| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     Kostas Kavoussanakis                  Project Manager
     mailto:[email-masked]         phone: +44 131 650 5021
     http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/%7ekavousan  fax:   +44 131 650 6555
     2411 JCMB, Mayfield Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JZ, UK
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~