Subject: IETF O&M Area MIB2RMDL proposal
From: "Natale, Bob" <[email-masked]>
To: "Hiro Kishimoto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 07:37:53 -0400

Hi Hiro,

Since I was unsure if this would be of general interest to the OGSA WG,
I am sending it to you directly.  Please distribute further at your
discretion.

At the IETF OpsArea meetings in Prague (March 18-23), we held a
mini-BOF on the topic of standardizing a methodology to convert SNMP
MIBs to SOA/WS resource model artifacts (tagged as "MIB to Resource
Model Description Language" (MIB2RMDL), using "Language" very loosely
in this context).
 
The material presented in Prague is available at
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/07mar/slides/opsarea-7.ppt.  It's
relatively short (13 slides or so) and employs the "repetition is the
key to learning" approach (familiar to all of us from Jeff Case's many
helpful tutorials on SNMP in past years).  
  
The O&M Area decided to proceed with further investigation of the
MIB2RMDL idea, with the first step being to establish an e-mail list
for discussion of the proposal.  If you would like to participate or
even just monitor the discussion, you can subscribe at
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mib2rdml.

My hope is that the discussion will lead to sufficient definition and
further acceptance of the MIB2RMDL proposal so that we can charter a
formal Working Group at IETF-69 in Chicago this July. 

I will produce and post an updated (-01) I-D in the next week or so,
incorporating input/feedback from the Prague meeting and anything else
that might develop on this list in the meantime.  (Co-authors
welcomed.)
 
Cheers,
BobN