Subject: DFDL trademarked?
From: Mike Beckerle <[email-masked]>
To: "Sill, Alan" <[email-masked]>
Cc: DFDL-WG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 10:55:50 -0400

Does OGF have any sort of trade-mark or brand protection on the DFDL
acronym? or even on "OGF DFDL"?

I noticed this new use of the acronym DFDL:
http://signal.ee.psu.edu/research/dfdl.html

There is plenty of other use of DFDL already:

   - dfdl.com a legal-related firm in Bangladesh. DFDL is the name of their
   firm in acronym form.
   - dfdl.org a charitable foundation on Leukemia and blood disease.
   - dfdl.net - a chinese site that google translate doesn't
   auto-translate. The browser tab comes up in English as "Peninsula official
   entrance(China) official website". How that relates to the acronym DFDL I
   cannot tell.

Those really don't conflict with us. Though the loss of the .org domain
name is unfortunate.

But this new usage is in a technology area so it gives me some concern.

Mike Beckerle
OGF DFDL Workgroup Co-Chair | www.ogf.org/ogf/doku.php/standards/dfdl/dfdl
Apache Daffodil PMC | daffodil.apache.org
Owl Cyber Defense | www.owlcyberdefense.com
Please note: Contributions to the DFDL Workgroup's email discussions are
subject to the OGF Intellectual Property Policy