Subject: BOUNCE [email-masked]: Non-member submission from ["Dave Berry" <[email-masked]>]
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:13:02 -0500 (CDT)

>From [email-masked]  Fri Sep 23 08:12:59 2005
Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Subject: Ad-hoc BOF on Streams at GGF15
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:12:50 +0100
From: "Dave Berry" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>,
	"Ogsa-Wg" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>,
	<[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>,
	<[email-masked]>
Cc: "Allen Luniewski" <[email-masked]>

All,

I apologise for cross-posting so widely; we are trying to reach people
who are work with data streams in a Grid setting and there is no obvious
single place to post.

We are organising an ad-hoc BOF at GGF15 on the subject of data streams
in Grid architectures.  Our aim is to bring together people working on
various aspects of data streams.  Our personal goals are to determine
how best to fit streams into the OGSA Data architecture but we also see
this session as an opportunity for people to share experiences and meet
others working in overlapping areas.

The BOF will be from 6.00-7.30pm on Monday Oct. 3rd.  The first half of
the session will see presenters addressing some of the questions below.
We will keep the second half of the session for discussion.

Issues to consider:
- What do we mean by a "data stream"?
- Grids have to consider attributes such as security, persistence, and
quality of service. Do these raise any particular questions for streams?
- What are the important use cases?  Are there unusual or non-obvious
cases that we need to consider?
- What is the natural programming model for streams in a distributed
environment?
- How do we connect one stream to another?
- How do streams fit into a service-oriented architecture?
- The OGSA Data Architecture currently has sections on Provisioning,
Querying, Replication, Caching, etc.  Do these apply to streams as well
as static data?  Are there any particular aspects of streams that affect
any of these sections?

We look forward to seeing you there.

Dave Berry
Research Manager, National e-Science Centre
15 South College St., Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 6514039