Subject: [ogsa-wg] RE: One paragraph describing your expectations from the deployment component
From: "Andrew Grimshaw" <[email-masked]>
To: "Milojicic, Dejan S" <[email-masked]>, "Andrew Grimshaw" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Hiro Kishimoto" <[email-masked]>, "Stuart Schaefer" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 08:20:51 -0800

Dejan, et al,

There are two basic things that EMS needs (in my opinion):
1) The ability to identify on which hosts an activity can execute because
either the executable for the activity is installed - or CAN BE installed.
2) The ability to direct that the necessary components for an activity be
installed and configured in/on a container - whether that means binaries and
libraries, licenses, databases, whatever. 

In both cases I do not want the activity started.

Let me dive a bit deeper into both:
1) The information needed to determine where an activity can execute -
either directly, or after some deployment step is needed by RSS so that it
can make scheduling decisions. While it is not sufficient information to
make scheduling decisions, it is necessary. (Other info could include load,
whether a particular user has privileges or the necessary currency, etc.)

2) Once a placement decision has been made then we must ensure that the
application/activity is ready to run on the selected container resource. In
the current JSDL model - all of the information is carried in the executable
information. For more interesting, non-legacy, components latter, it is
likely that the mechanism in JSDL will not suffice. Thus, something like:
Deploy("name of application/component", "name of container resource")

Where each of the "names" are either path names in a directory based service
or EPR's of some sort.

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Milojicic, Dejan S [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 10:35 AM
To: Andrew Grimshaw
Cc: Hiro Kishimoto; Stuart Schaefer
Subject: One paragraph describing your expectations from the deployment
component

Hi Andrew,

At Boston, you agreed to provide one paragraph describing your
expectations from the deployment component. You have articulated it at
that time. Using this paragraph, we'll provide a feedback on how we
match your expectations.

Can you please provide this paragraph to us? This is in preparation for
the OGSA meeting on 11/9 which CDDLM participants will join.

Thanks,

Dejan.